Why do we need this?
By default, you might be having the stock media package which will give you a SQL server without the latest service pack. You will have to install service pack separately after installing the instance (Double work and time consuming). So if you follow below method you can update your install media with the latest service pack so that you can directly install SQL server + latest service pack in one shot. This method is also called as slip stream.
Here lets take the example of adding Service Pack 2 to a SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition x64 install media.
- SQL Server 2008 Install Media.
- x86,ia64 and x64 versions of Executable for latest Service pack. They can be downloaded at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=12548. Download all three files listed below.
- Create a new folder name D:\SQL2008EEPlusSP2 and extract/copy all the files of the install media to that folder. Now you will have below list of files and folders in that New Folder.
- ia64 (Folder)
- x64 (Folder)
- x86 (Folder)
Shows errors like below on your Joomla, Drupal or in any other php coded webpage.
Those functions got replaced with alternate ones. (Sorry that I don’t know the reason behind that. May be the new ones might have some new features). Also I experienced this problem after upgrading PHP engine on my server.
FTP the web server and open the file showing error, search for “ereg” and replace ereg(…) with mb_ereg(…). The syntax is same for both. (Try this and keep it if it works. It will work 90% sure.)
FTP the web server and open the file showing error, search for “split” and replace split(…) with explode(…). (Same as above.)
Replace the below line showing error
with below code
Note: More findings will be added to this post as and when I experience them. Please comment below if you had experienced and fixed any other deprecations.
Before we start we need to make mySQL database capable of supporting unicode characters. For that we need to change the database collation or the table collation to utf8_unicode_ci. This can be done with phpmyadmin portal.
- Click the table you need to change.
- select Structure tab.
- Check the required column and click change or edit.
- From the collation drop down select utf8_unicode_ci.
- Press Go.
Click here to read more
We had a requirement to change the SQL Server Fail over cluster group Virtual server name. We did that change through the cluster administrator. That SQL Server was 2008 Enterprise running on Windows 2008 Enterprise cluster. The change was successfully made from one node and the SQL server came online after that. But when we did fail over testing, we noticed that the SQL Server service is not coming online on the other node. The SQL Server error-log gave below errors while trying to start-up.
Click here to continue reading this post and resolution
- Log-in to the active node.
- Trigger a full backup for all System and User Databases.
- Script out all log-ins.
- If there are any user databases, you will have to export the tables using BCP utility.
- Copy SQL Server 2008 install media folder to some local directory. For Eg: D:\SQL2008SP2
- Open command prompt and execute below command. Caution: This step will replace your current system databases with new ones with required collation. So please make sure you will be able to restore all logins and the user databases back after this activity.
Note: Please replace the values for /INSTANCENAME, /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS, /SAPWD and /SQLCOLLATION
Here you go !. Your SQL server has got new collation settings now. Please let me know if incase you experienced any issues.
- Now restore all logins and userdatabases using the scripts generated in step 3 and the tables exported in Step 4.
The below script helps in detecting, recording and alerting when ever a change is made to sp_config or SQL server configuration settings. This will help in pin-pointing any unnecessary changes happening to Our Beloved SQL Server…