Access Denied error while attaching the database files moved from Windows 2003 server to the new SQL instance on Windows 2008

Issue

It’s quite common that we use detach-attach method to migrated SQL server databases from Windows Server 2000 or 2003 to Windows server 2008. During this task, we might experience “Access Denied” error while trying to attach the databases to the new instance at Windows 2008. An access denied error sometimes occur when we try to bring a database online.

Cause

This is due to higher security measures implemented in Windows Server 2008/ Vista / 7. When the SQL Server service account and the DBA’s admin account does not have enough rights on the database file, this error would occur.

Resolution

This can be fixed with two simple commands.

  1. TAKEOWN – This is to take ownership if files.
  2. ICACLS – This helps in changing the file level permissions like CHMOD command in UNIX.

To learn more on TAKEOWN, type “takeown /?” in command prompt and “icacls /?” for ICACLS.

The fix is as below.

  1. Navigate to the folder containing those migrated datafiles and log files.
  2. Take ownership of the file by executing below command.
  3. Update permission for the respective users on the files with below command.

Note: Replace the drive and directory path to the required values.

Error: Unable to access Reports via web browser soon after installing reporting Services

Issue

Soon after installing reporting services for my SQL server 2012 on Windows 7, I got the error “User ‘DOMAIN\username’ does not have required permissions. Verify that sufficient permissions have been granted and Windows User Account Control (UAC) restrictions have been addressed” in web browser at http://localhost/Reports/ and http://localhost/reportserver/.

Solution

Right click Internet Explorer and select “Run as Administrator”. Now you will be able to access the below link http://localhost/reports/.

Now, to permanently fix the problem, click on “Folder Settings”Click on Folder settings icon

And then “New Role Assignment”Click on New role assignment

Fill in the below form and click OK.

Fill in this Form and click OK

 

Error: Text Editor is not loading or showing up in WordPress – (Fixed)

I had a terrible issue with my wordpress website www.sherbaz.com. I was unable to submit any post for a long time because of this issue. Every time when I login to wordpress dashboard to post new tips, I see a blank text field as shown below which doesn’t even accept any input either.

Text Editor Error

How was it fixed?

This was seriously effecting my work and I couldn’t post or edit or update an already existing post either. Finally after few weeks of silence I decided to tweak this out. One fine weekend I started sorting out one by one.

  1. Cleared browser cache – No luck.
  2. Changed browsers and even tried on different systems and finally tried even on my Smartphone. – Same error was there everywhere.
  3. Then I checked the error that was displayed by internet explorer while loading the page. It says “tinyMCE is undefined”. This didn’t give any clue.
  4. Installed Web developer 1.1.9 add-on to my Mozilla firefox and then executed the new post page again. The web developer error console says “illegal character in wp-tinymce.php”. On clicking the error, the file popped up. I could find only some Unicode characters. So I felt like the files might have got corrupted. I tried replacing the file alone from a new downloaded wordpress-3.3.1 package. That didn’t fix it.
  5. I then took a backup of wp-admin and wp-includes folders, deleted those folders and then uploaded again from the freshly downloaded wordpress 3.3.1 zip file. Hurray! The issue got fixed. The text editor is now showing up and working fine.